Afvalfonds Verpakkingen ('Packaging Waste Fund') was established by producers and importers to collectively meet the extended producer responsibilities as stated in the Packaging Decree and Packaging Agreement. It is a not-for-profit organisation governed by a board of directors, who are themselves appointed by producers and importers.
- establishing and maintaining a waste management system to achieve national recycling targets;
- working with municipalities and other parties to compensate for the collection or processing of (separated) waste packaging;
- the minimisation of packaging litter;
- monitoring and reporting on the usage, collection, and re-use of packaging materials; and
- establishing the rates, and collecting contributions from producers and importers.
The binding Waste Management Contribution Agreement (ABBO, in Dutch) between all producers and importers and Afvalfonds Verpakkingen, came into effect on the 1st of January 2013. Afvalfonds Verpakkingen establishes and collects the packaging waste management contribution, and outsources other tasks to various organisations through service level agreements and/or funding. These organisations include:
- Nedvang: Monitoring of packaging off the market and recycled packaging waste;
- Nederland Schoon: Prevention of packaging litter;
- Netherlands Institute for Sustainable Packaging: (Kennisinstituut Duurzaam Verpakken, KIDV) is responsible for the development, consolidation and sharing of factual knowledge about sustainable packaging based on the following principles: reduce, re-use, renew and recycle.
Education and communication are key elements in stimulating citizens to separately collect their packaging waste in order to have it recycled. Nedvang provides municipalities with information for their own communication, but also organizes various communication activities, ranging from indications what packaging waste has to be sorted to national publicity campaigns.
Typical forms of communication to support separate collection and recycling are
- Recycling newspapers
- Factsheets and other messages to municipalities
- Education materials for primary schools
- Online games
- TV shows (especially for children)
Besides, education is crucial to Nedvang. Together with organizations aimed at the recycling of the separate materials, Nedvang develops education packages for elementary schools and their children.
2266 JZ Leidschendam
Tel.:+31 (0)85 401 26 60