Slopak was established in 2002 by the obliged industry to manage the recovery of household and industry packaging waste based on not-for profit and profit-not-for distribution principle.
The collection of HH packaging waste is responsibility of the local WMC’s (58), the collection of industrial packaging waste is responsibility of the PRO’s and is carried out mainly by subcontractors.
Slopak is financed by the obliged companies (producers, importers, distributors) who pay the packaging fee. All members of Slopak are treated equally regardless of quantities and type of packaging put on the market.
Over the years Slopak also established management of other types of waste: WEEE, waste tyres, waste medicals, waste batteries and residues of plant protection products.
In accordance with legislation, in Slovenia it was established shared responsibility of operative and financial implementation of responsibilities of handling with packaging and packaging waste between the WMC’s and PRO’s.
The WMC’s are responsible for the organisation, collection and financing of separately collected streams of household packaging waste (glass, paper, mixed municipal packaging -beverage cartons, plastic and metal packaging) and are obliged to pass free of charge all separately collected household waste packaging to PRO’s according to their market share.
The PRO’s take over the collected packaging waste from WMC’s in the collection centres for further processing and recovery. For the financing of sorting and recycling of the collected HH packaging waste are responsible PRO’s.
The management of industrial packaging waste is organised differently than household packaging waste. The responsibility for the organisation and financing of the collection, sorting and recycling of industrial packaging waste is borne solely by the PRO’s.
Decree on packaging and packaging waste handling (OG RS No 84/06, 106/06, 110/07, 67/11, 68/11 – correct., 18/14 in 57/15) – entered into force 23.8.2006
EU Legal acts that were adopted by the Decree on packaging and packaging waste handling or the Decree enables the implementation of these acts:
- Directive 94/62/EC of 20 December 1994 on packaging and packaging waste
- 97/129/EC: Commission Decision of 28 January 1997 establishing the identification system for packaging materials pursuant to European Parliament and Council Directive 94/62/EC on packaging and packaging waste (Text with EEA relevance)
- Directive 2004/12/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 February 2004 amending Directive 94/62/EC on packaging and packaging waste - Statement by the Council, the Commission and the European Parliament
- Commission Decision of 22 March 2005 establishing the formats relating to the database system pursuant to Directive 94/62/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on packaging and packaging waste
- Directive 2005/20/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 9 March 2005 amending Directive 94/62/EC on packaging and packaging waste
Environmental permit, No. 35472-148/2012-5, valid from 31.12.2012 to 15.01.2023– Permission granted by Ministry for the Environment to Slopak who is authorized to carry out the activities of waste packaging management.
Slopak invests in nationwide communication activities towards clients, youngsters and general public. The activities are executed through different communication tools: national media, online tools, public events and educational programmes.
Recent communication activities:
- Website for the consumers www.locevanjeodpadkov.si: information about proper separation of waste (packaging waste, waste tyres, WEEE, waste batteries, waste medicals, PPP), collection possibilities, educational videos, recycling schemes etc.
- Facebook Ločujem odpadke www.facebook.com/SlopakLocujemOdpadke for general public: photos from events, fun facts, interesting news, advice about proper separation of waste etc.
- Slopak at summer festival in collaboration with obliged company Pivovarna Laško: Slopak is present at the festival Pivo in cvetje in Laško, where demonstrators raise awareness and motivate the visitors to keep the location clean through fun activities. The acquired knowledge is later adopted at their homes. (https://goo.gl/wfRHBr)
- Presentations in schools (primary schools, high schools, faculties): topics in accordance with the age of the students vary from how to properly separate waste, what is recycling to the presentation of the functioning of the system.
- Life project Ločujmo odpadke (LIFE 10 INS/SI/136): 6 films about recycling of waste, information points in shopping centres and student campuses, 4 mock-up (presenting recycling of PET bottle and beverage cartons, sorting line and dismantling of mobile phone), demonstration bins for student campuses, 4 surveys, 3 school contests (topics: recycling of can, glass bottle and PET bottle), promotion of collection centres, articles in national newspapers, publications and leaflets, posters, roll-ups, Layman’s report etc. (www.slopak.si/locujmo_odpadke/o_projektu/about_the_project)
- Slopak website www.slopak.si: information for the obliged companies about the functioning of the system, their obligations, legislation etc. (www.slopak.si)
- Slopak publications, brochure, mailer news
- Media campaigns about functioning of the system, The Green Dot
Website for the general public
www.locevanjeodpadkov.si – Website offers information for general public about separate collection of different types of waste (waste packaging, WEEE, waste tyres, waste medicals, waste batteries, residues of plant protection products, hazardous waste and organic waste), about recycling of waste, videos about waste management of different types of waste, etc.
Vodovodna cesta 100
Tel.: +386 1 5600 250
Fax: +386 1 5600 260